Saturday, September 19, 2009

Saturday: Willkommen, Bienvenue, Welcome!

At the risk of sounding cliched, it's the weekend. Kick back, relax, have a cold one, and enjoy yourself. My name is Katie, and I'll be your Saturday blogger - wrapping up the end of each week with whatever writing topic I'm obsessing over working through.

I'm the Southern Belle of the group - born in Virginia, raised on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and currently residing with my husband in western North Carolina, the most beautiful area in the United States. I have lived in several places and love the diversity of my country. How awesome to belong to this equally diverse group of writers!

My parents must've read to me while in the womb, because I was born with a book in my hand. My mother taught me to read at the age of two, and I remember reading second grade books to my kindergarten class. Then Mom put a journal in my hands at the tender age of ten, and my writing career began. By eighteen, my future career as a teacher-slash-novelist was decided, complete with two historical romance novels that will forever remain locked in the bowels of those things that shall never see the light of day.

Three years ago I become quite serious about writing fiction and began writing fanfiction for the shows Smallville and Supernatural. Over time, I turned to original fiction, and thanks to National Novel Writing Month, wrote one paranormal contemporary romance and am working on my second.

True to my first love of reading, I continue to carry a book with me wherever I roam - whether I have time to read it or not. Typically I'll read anything, but my first love is the romance. I'll read anything that contains a love story, especially paranormal romance. Because of that, I write primarily paranormal romances. One of these days I will tackle the historical romance, but I'm not quite brave enough yet.

So enjoy all the goodies and offerings we'll have for you in the coming months. And so I leave you with an awesome quote on writing, because I collect these and use them as sources of inspiration:
Why do writers write? Because it isn't there.
- Thomas Berger

0 comments: