Monday, January 11, 2010

What I Want

I am loving reading everyone's writing goals for the new year. I think you all have some solid plans and I look forward to reading your progress reports.

My main goal this year? To end the year on track for membership in the Horror Writers Association.

From the site:

"AFFILIATE MEMBERS
Beginning horror writers with a demonstrated intention of establishing a professional writing career. Minimal publication is required, and only works of Horror or Dark Fantasy can be used as qualifying material.

-Sell one short story of at least 500 words, for payment of at least $25.

-Sell one non-fiction article, role-playing supplement, comic book script, computer gaming script, or theatrical play for payment of at least $50.

-Sell one book-length manuscript (40,000 words or more) for payment of at least $200.

-Sell a screenplay or an option on your existing screenplay for payment of at least $200.

-Sell three poems for total payment of at least $15."

I want to- I WILL- sell one short story. To start. That is my goal. I am going to focus on this; I am reading lots of short story collections and essays on horror writing. This is going to be a lot of hard work but I am up for it. It's not easy to get published in the short story market, but I want to have a finished, polished story and by year's end I want to have at least three submissions under my belt.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

I think you have some great goals for the year. I think you can totally gain membership this year. I love that one of the ways for membership is through selling poetry.

Andrea said...

Thanks for the support! Remind me of this when I moan about it later this year. ;)

And yeah, I thought of you when I read the part about poetry.